October 19 – 26, 2014
8 Days Photographing Barcelona with Harold Davis
Offered in cooperation with Accolades International Tours for the Arts, A division of Group Travel Directors
2000 West 98th Street
Minneapolis MN 55431-2593
Phone: 952-881-7811; Toll Free: 800-747-2255; Fax: 952-881-6276
For more information, please contact Sarah Loan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Barcelona, the capital of Catalonia, has been called the “great enchantress” by art critic Robert Hughes and paid homage to by the otherwise curmudgeonly George Orwell. The fourth largest city in Europe, and the largest city on the Mediterranean, Barcelona’s unique attraction stems in part from its freewheeling world-class cultural and artistic traditions.
A sister city to San Francisco, nowhere else in Europe do democratic impulses run as strongly as in Barcelona. This tradition dates back to before there was a magna carta, and years of brutal dictatorship under Franco, who tried to impose central authority from Madrid over Barcelona, could not dim Barcelona’s distinctive appeal.
In this destination photography workshop, we will join master photographer Harold Davis to explore all aspects of Barcelona with our cameras, from the well-preserved Gothic quarter with its maze-like warren of narrow and pictareque streets to Antoni Gaudi’s famous Sagrada Familia. We’ll follow in the footsteps of Carlos Ruiz Zafon, author of The Shadow of the Wind, and visit the real-life places he used as the models for the places in his books, such as the Cemetery of Forgotten Books and the Sempere & Sons bookshop. We’ll walk the Ramblas, and shoot the spectacular view from the Castell de Montjuic, and Tibidabo, photograph architecture old and new, and immerse ourselves in Catalonian culture.
We are also planning an excursion to Montserrat, the holiest site in Catalonia, where we’ll visit the basilica, photograph the panoramic views from the top of unique rock formations (accessible by funicular), and join the pilgrims visiting the shrine of the Black Virgin.
Workshop to be hosted at the exquisite, photogenic and luxurious 4-star Hotel Espana near the Ramblas and Gothic Quarter.
Come join us on the photographic adventure of a lifetime!
Registration information: Register online for the 2014 Photograph Barcelona with Harold Davis workshop. For more information, please call 800.747.2255 and ask for Sarah Loan at Extension 120, or email Sarah at email@example.com.
Code: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Itinerary subject to change.
Sunday October 19, 2014 (D)
- Arrive Barcelona
- 3PM Hotel check‐in
- 4PM Group meeting in hotel lobby
- Explore the Gothic quarter with Harold
- 8:00PM—Welcome dinner
Monday October 20, 2014 (B)
- 10AM Meet in hotel lobby for neighborhood orientation
- Noon Depart from hotel lobby on two‐hour panoramic tour with guide and motorcoach
- Afternoon: free time plus personal shooting
- 6‐8PM Photo review and technique session with Harold
- Informal night photography (optional)
Tuesday October 21, 2014 (B)
- Visit the Sagrada Familia (and towers) with guide (admission and transfers included)
- Free time for personal shooting
- 6‐8PM Photo review and technique session with Harold
Wednesday October 22, 2014 (B, L)
- Full‐day guided excursion by motor coach to Montserrat (admissions, funicular, and lunch included)
Thursday October 23, 2014 (B, D)
- Walking tour inspired by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and The Shadow of the Wind (with local guide)
- Catedral de Barcelona (with local guide, admission included)
- Free time for personal shooting
- Photo review and classroom technique session.
- Group dinner at Els Quatre Gats in the Barri Gotic
Friday October 24, 2014 (B)
- Explore the streets of Gracia and the Park Guell (with guide)
- Visit Casa Mila (with guide; admission included)
- Explore Eixample and the Manzana de la Discordia (with guide)
- Free time for individual photo projects
- Night shoot at Tibidabo (with guide and motorcoach)
Saturday October 25, 2014 (B, D)
- Ramblas walk
- Photo review and classroom technique session
- Motor coach transfer to Castell de Montjuic, drop off at the castle, explore the castle, and proceed down Montjuic to return to hotel (out-bound coach, guide service and castle admission included)
- Group celebration dinner, at Arcano or similar
Sunday October 26, 2014 (B)
- Breakfast at the hotel, check‐out and individual departures.
What’s included in the Barcelona Workshop with Harold Davis?
- EXPERT INSTRUCTION: Daily instruction in photography provided by Harold Davis.
- EXPERT GUIDES: An experienced English-speaking tour guide for touring as per the itinerary.
- ACCOMMODATION: Seven nights accommodation at the Hotel Espana, double occupancy, with private facilities. Free in-room safes and free wi-fi included. Hotel as listed or similar.
- MEALS: Breakfast daily, one lunch and three dinners as outlined in the itinerary.
- GROUND TRANSPORT: Transportation by deluxe motor coach as outlined in the itinerary.
- SIGHTSEEING: Extensive sightseeing throughout; entrance fees included.
- PORTERAGE: Luggage handling of one piece per person.
- GRATUITIES: Gratuities to drivers and guides.
- ALL THE INFO YOU NEED: Comprehensive documentation including travel accessory, bag tags, name tags, flight and land itineraries, destination literature, customs information, travel tips and more.
Items that are not included:
- International airfare and taxes.
- Fuel surcharges and/or tax increases levied since the pricing of this tour.
- Beverages other than coffee/tea at breakfast.
- Any meal or sightseeing item not listed in the itinerary.
- Items of a personal nature.
- Optional insurance for health, baggage, and trip cancellation/interruption is not included and highly recommended. Please refer to the Travel Insurance section.
- Passport fees. A passport valid six months beyond date of reentry to the U.S. is required.
- No visa is required for U.S. citizens; non-U.S. citizens may require a visa.
Tour cost summary: $5036.00*
(*Costs per person are based on double occupancy in USD)
Discount for early bird-registration by December 31, 2013: $500
Discount for participation in previous a Harold Davis destination workshop: $500
Non-Photographer spouses: We welcome non-photographer spouses and significant others, subject to space limitations. We will offer a $250 discount for the non-photographer spouse or significant other, and provide a list of suggested activities.
Other Tour Costs
Optional Individual Supplements:
Single room cost $950 in addition to base tour cost.
The tour cost is per person based on double occupancy, tariffs and currency valuations as of June 2013, a minimum of 17 travelers, and subject to confirmation. While we will do everything possible to maintain the listed price and/or itinerary, they are subject to change due to circumstances beyond our control. Single room supplements may have limited availability and are on a request basis only.
For Residents of California
Accolades International Tours for the Arts is registered as a seller of travel with the State of California: CST 2108836
Registration as a seller of travel does not constitute approval by the State of California.
As a seller of travel not based in California, Accolades International Tours for the Arts does not participate in the California Travel Consumer Restitution Fund.
California law requires that sellers of travel have a trust account or bond. Accolades International Tours for the Arts maintains a trust account.
These tour conditions are subject to confirmation of space and may change until contracts applicable to actual dates have been received and accepted by all parties involved.
- PAYMENT SCHEDULE: Your reservation and non-refundable deposit of $500 per person are requested immediately to fulfill the group deadline requirements. Note that space is limited and reservations are taken on a first come, first served basis. A second payment of $1250 is due June 16, 2014. Final payment is due August 15, 2014. For credit card payment Accolades accepts Visa, MasterCard, or Discover.
- REFUND POLICY: All cancellations must be in writing. For cancellations where the traveler is not at fault or not in violation of the terms and conditions stated herein (e.g., cancellation of the tour prior to departure), a full and prompt refund will be made for all services not provided except for the non-refundable deposit (unless we cancel or reschedule the trip, in which case the deposit is refundable). Note that there is no refund for partial or unused land arrangements declined by the traveler. The following penalties will apply: Up to June 15, 2014 – $500 per person administrative fee plus any unrecoverable deposits; June 16 – October 4, 2014– Deposit plus any unrecoverable payments to hotels, tour operators or airlines; October 5, 2014 or after – No refund.
- LATE BOOKINGS: Passengers registering within thirty days of tour departure will be charged a $50 per person fee. Tour payment in full is required before we can request and confirm space. This fee does not cover any additional airline or ground service charges.
Note to our travelers:
Be assured that Accolades continually monitors industry events, such as airline strikes, bankruptcies, etc. If any such events affect your tour, you will be notified. At the time this tour was developed there was no U.S. State Department Travel Warning in effect for this destination; please refer to the following website for current information or call Accolades. http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html
Accolades Travel Insurance:
Travel insurance is included as an option with the initial tour deposit and is highly recommended. Accolades offers a competitive policy from an independent company. By purchasing insurance at the time the tour deposit is made, you can be covered for events that may cause you to cancel or interrupt your trip, e.g., pre-existing medical conditions (certain restrictions apply). If you decline travel insurance at the time of reservation, you may purchase it within 14 days with the pre-existing conditions waiver or you may purchase it later without the pre-existing conditions waiver. You may contact Travel Insured International for further information before making your decision: 800-243-3174.
Accolades Travel Insurance Inclusions:
Trip Cancellation: Up to Tour Cost*
Trip Interruption: Up to 150% of Tour Cost**
Travel Delay: $750
Missed Connection: $300
Baggage Delay: $200
Medical Expense: $50,000
Accidental Death: $10,000
Assistance Service: Included
* A maximum of $5500 per person
** A maximum of $8250 per person
Cost of this optional Accolades Travel Insurance is $297 per person. Additional coverage provided as needed; the full cost of your tour must be covered*. NOTE: Residents of Indiana, New Hampshire, and Washington will receive a state-specific Description of Coverage, which can also be requested by calling 866-684-0218.
Conditions and Responsibility:
Group Travel Directors (GTD) dba Accolades International Tours for the Arts provides customized travel planning throughout the world for group travelers who have a variety of reasons and goals for travel. The goals and/or opinions of these groups do not reflect or imply the position of GTD in any matter. Brochure contents may not be duplicated without permission from GTD. In offering these travel arrangements, Group Travel Directors, Inc. (GTD) acts solely as an agent for the sale of air transportation and other travel related services. GTD maintains no control over the personnel, equipment or operations of any entity furnishing services, products or accommodations. GTD assumes no responsibility or liability for, and shall not be expected, asked or required to pay for any injury, damage, expense, personal injury, property damage, inconvenience or any other loss experienced by reason of: (1) any intentional, wrongful, negligent or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any supplier, its agents or employees; (2) any defect, breakdown or other failure of any vehicle, equipment, service, product or other instrumentality which is owned, operated or otherwise used by a supplier; (3) any intentional, wrongful, negligent, or unauthorized act or omission on the part of any other party not under the direct control of GTD; (4) financial problems or default causing nonperformance by any supplier; or (5) any other cause, condition or event whatsoever beyond the direct control of GTD. GTD cannot guarantee any rates, bookings or reservations of any supplier. Your retention of tickets, reservations or bookings after issuance shall constitute a consent to the foregoing provisions. All prices quoted are subject to change if airlines or ground operators increase their prices, the U.S. dollar is devalued significantly against foreign currencies, the group falls below minimum numbers, or a fuel surcharge, government tax or user’s fee is imposed. Baggage and personal effects are the sole responsibility of the owners at all times. GTD reserves the right to withdraw from any tour any tour member whose conduct is incompatible with the interests of the group as a whole. The above Conditions and Responsibility also includes the group leaders and their respective organizations.
For more information about the 2014 Photograph Paris with Harold Davis Workshop, please contact:
632 San Fernando Ave
Berkeley, CA 94707
Also, you may contact:
2014 Photograph Barcelona with Harold Davis * October 19 – 26, 2014 *Ref. No. 141004ca
Please provide your name as it appears (or will appear) on your passport:
Date of Birth:__________
City State Zip
Telephone (day) (evening)
Email Roommate or single supplement
Deposit/Travel Insurance (please check one): You may also register online at www.gtd.org.
I/we choose the following deposit option:
$820 per person inclusive of travel insurance for the main tour – see above.
$797 per person without travel insurance. I/we decline insurance now, but understand it
can be purchased later per information provided elsewhere in this flyer.
$797 / $500 X _________ person(s) = $__________________total deposit.
Please make checks payable to GTD#141004ca or provide your credit card information.
Type of card (circle one) VISA MasterCard Discover
Expiration date Security Code:
Name as it appears on card
Billing address for card
I/we have read and understand the conditions of the tour.
Accolades International Tours for the Arts – 2000 West 98th Street – Minneapolis MN 55431-2593