Please check details of the itinerary below, and click here for the Reservation Form! We look forward to exploring Paris with you.
There’s nothing like photographing Paris in the spring! Let’s spend some glorious days together in April of 2019 making photos in Paris, and having a great time.
Photography begins with the medium of light, which the artist captures and applies to the canvas in endlessly surprising ways. And what better place to explore this medium than Paris, the City of Light?
Join acclaimed photographer Harold Davis and co-host Mark Brokering for the experience of a lifetime in Paris, the birthplace of photography. There you’ll have the opportunity to experience firsthand the places and sights that have inspired artists for centuries.
We’ll focus our lenses on Paris in bloom, Paris at night, and Paris in black & white, reinterpreting for ourselves some of the images that have been captured in paint and on film by many great artists, including Daguerre, Monet, Atget, Picasso, and Erwitt. We’ll have a grand time photographing and we’ll return home with many priceless shots to treasure!
Photo tour includes an excursion to Monet’s famous gardens at Giverny, with exclusive after-hours artist access.
Harold’s photographs of Paris have appeared in books, exhibitions, and been published worldwide on travel sites.
Here’s what some participants in past Photograph Paris with Harold Davis Workshops had to say:
- “Had an awesome time with Harold and the workshop participants. Itching to go back. If you’re a photographer, Paris at night is a ‘Must Do!’. Put it on your bucket list ‘cause you may not see this in Heaven.”
- “Photographing Paris at night in the company of a group of fellow photographers had instant appeal. Inspired by the scenes of Brassai, I imagined myself at the top of the steps at Montmartre, taking wonderful black-and-white images. I already admired Harold Davis, and had confidence that he would lead us to fantastic places – and he did! What came as a delightful surprise was the level of talent and variety of approaches that my fellow travelers employed to capture the marvelous churches, gardens, and people of Paris, Giverny, and Fontainebleau. I learned from every one of them. And what an agreeable group of travel companions they were! A once-in-a-lifetime experience that I plan to repeat next spring!”
- “Harold has great skill, without the ego of most master photographers. Travel arrangements were perfect.”
- “One thing I really liked about the photo tour that Harold set up is that we had plenty of time to photograph in the best locations, and really prioritized when the light would be good.”
Where: The group will be based out of a centrally located, elegant and comfortable 4-star centrally located Parisian hotel, such as the Hotel Villa Madame. The Hotel Villa Madame is on the left bank of the Seine, in the heart of the 6th Arondissment in St Germain des Pres, and is located near many of the prime photographic locations.
When: Saturday April 27, 2019 (leave US April 26) to Sunday May 5, 2019 (nine days and eight nights).
Group Size: This exclusive, small photo workshop tour is limited to twelve photographers (non-photographer significant others are also welcome). The minimum group size is six.
Code: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner—Itinerary subject to change.
Saturday April 27, 2019 (D)
- Arrive Paris and transfer on own to Villa Madame Hotel (or similar)
- 3PM: Villa Madame check-in
- 4PM: Group meeting in hotel lobby
- Explore San Sulpice and other local highlights with Harold and Mark
- 8:30PM: Welcome dinner
Sunday April 28, 2019 (B, L)
- 10AM: Meet in lobby for neighborhood orientation
- Understanding the Métro
- Where to buy picnics
- Buy picnic lunch for bus (optional)
- Neighborhood shopping
- Noon: Depart from hotel lobby on two-hour panoramic bus tour with guide
- Afternoon: Free time for personal shooting
- 7PM: Meet guide in hotel lobby and proceed by metro to la Tour Montparnasse rooftop observation deck for night photography until closing time.
Monday April 29, 2019 (B, L)
- Photography at Puces St Ouen: The Flea Market at Porte de Clignancourt
- Group lunch
- Guided tour of the Opera Garnier
- Visit to the photographic viewing platforms of the great Parisian department stores
Tuesday April 30, 2019 (B)
- Morning: Explore Latin quarter, Ile de la Cité, and banks of the Seine
- 3:00PM: Depart for Giverny
- Picnic dinner at Giverny (or on bus) at own expense
- 6-8PM: After-hours shooting at Monet’s Garden in Giverny
Wednesday May 1, 2019 (B)
- Note, May 1 is a national holiday with museums, stores, etc., closed
- Free time for personal projects and/or working with Harold
- Group photography TBD
- Night photography with locations TBD (Eiffel Tower, Louvre court, etc.)
Thursday May 2, 2019 (B)
- Image review
- Photographic excursion to Chartres (or TBD)
- Free time for individual photo projects
Friday May 3, 2019 (B, L)
- Exploring Paris underground: guided tour(s) to catacombs, canals, and infrastructure
- Group lunch
- Right bank, Pompedieu Center, the Marais and Jewish Quarter
Saturday May 4, 2019 (B, D)
- Image review
- Guided tour of Montmartre and Sacré Coeur
- Free time for individual photo projects
- 7:00PM: Celebratory Farewell dinner
Sunday May 5, 2016 (B)
- Morning: One group transfer with assistance to the airport
Cost: $6,395 per person (single supplement $875)
Inclusions: Eight nights lodging, all breakfasts (8), meals as indicated, private excursions as indicated including licensed guides and admissions, expert photographic instruction and guidance with Harold Davis, and service charges.
Exclusions: Airfare and transportation to Paris, meals except as indicated, wine and spirits, travel insurance (which is highly recommended), and personal items such as souvenirs.
To Register: Please send us an email expressing interest right away; a completed registration requires a $1000 deposit and Reservation Form, and a copy of your passport page.
About Harold Davis: Harold Davis is an internationally-known digital artist and award-winning professional photographer. He is the author of many bestselling photography books including The Way of the Digital Photographer (Peachpit Press, awarded as a Top 10 Best 2013 Photography Book of the Year by Photo.net). Harold Davis’s most recent book is Achieving Your Potential As a Photographer: A Photographer’s Creative Companion and Workbook (Focal Press). His Photographing Flowers (Focal Press) is a noted photography “classic,” and is rated the Best Guide to Flower Photography byDigital Photographer Magazine.
In addition to his activity as a bestselling book author, Harold Davis is an Adobe Influencer, a Moab Master printmaker and a Zeiss Lens Ambassador. Harold Davis’s work is in collections around the world. It is licensed by art publishers, in annual reports, and has appeared in numerous magazines and many publications.
Harold’s black and white prints have been described as “hauntingly beautiful” by Fine Art Printer Magazine, and his floral prints have been called “ethereal,” with “a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual” by Popular Photography.
Recently Harold Davis’s work has been exhibited in venues including Photokina in Cologne, Germany, PhotoPlus Expo in New York, the Gallery Photo in Oakland, California, the Arts & Friends Gallery in Heidelberg, Germany, and the Awagami Gallery in Japan.
Harold Davis has led destination photography workshops to many locations including Paris, France; Spain and Morocco; and the ancient Bristlecone Pines of the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.
Harold’s popular online course on Craftsy.com, Photographing Flowers, has thousands of students. His ongoing photography workshops in partnership with institutions such as Point Reyes Field Seminars, the Center for Photographic Art in Carmel, California, Maine Media Workshops, and the Heidelberg Summer School of Photography are continually in demand and popular.
According to Rangefinder Magazine, Harold Davis is “a man of astonishing eclectic skills and accomplishments.” You can learn more about Harold and his work at his website, www.digitalfieldguide.com.
We look forward to having a great time photographing Paris in the spring with you! Click here for the Reservation Form!