Introducing Botanique, a handmade limited edition artist book of botanical prints by Harold Davis.
New! Watch the Botanique video!
Acclaimed as “origami in a box” and said to be “destined for major museums,” Botanique is an innovative artist project that astutely blends old craft and cutting edge new technologies to create an exquisite limited edition art book and art object that is completely unique.
Working together in their studio, legendary photographer and digital artist Harold Davis his wife, graphic designer Phyllis Davis, have combined advanced digital pigment printing with the luscious botanical art of Harold Davis. Every aspect of the project has been carefully designed and hand-crafted.
According to Popular Photography Magazine, the floral prints of Harold Davis “border on the spiritual.” Botanique contains twenty-one luscious floral prints that emerge delicately and seductively from the hand-assembled presentation box. The clam shell box measures approximately 9.25″ X 12.5″ X 1″ deep.
The Botanique project was originally successfully funded and crowd-sourced via a Kickstarter project.
Pricing for the twenty-five hand-signed and numbered copies is arranged in tiers of five copies, with the initial price for the first five copies $500 (these and the copies at $750 are sold out) and ranging to over $2,000 for the final five copies in the edition. The current price for Botanique is $1950. Please check with the studio for the current price and availability.
Note that Botanique contains twenty-one prints.
Uniquely conceived and handcrafted using a blend of new and old techniques, Botanique is expected to be the first of a number of limited edition artist projects from the creative Davis photography and design studio.
What some Botanique collectors have said:
- “I didn’t open it until last night because I was really busy and wanted to take time to savor every page. It’s BEAUTIFUL! Thank you very much.”—S.M.
- “I had time today to sit down and slowly admire each and every page of your amazing book. It is absolutely gorgeous…a true collector’s item…and is a reflection of the beauty and light within you both. I’m honored to be one of the people who has the privilege to own this book and will treasure it always.”—B.A.
- “Arrived home from France this evening to find my copy of Botanique waiting for me . . . the book and accompanying prints are indescribably beautiful.”—B.G.
- “All I can say is WOW. What a magnificent piece of work this is. It seems that each time I turn the pages I find something different and unique to look at in each of the flowers.What a masterpiece. My words cannot do it justice.I am proud to own this exquisite artwork.”—I.H.
About Botanique: Botanique is a limited edition, handcrafted book of original, luscious botanical prints by legendary photographer and master printer Harold Davis
Botanique is strictly limited to an edition of twenty-five copies, plus five artist proof copies. Each book is hand-signed and numbered by the artist, and presented in an archival hand-assembled presentation box suitable for display.
Botanique is hand printed on an Epson 9900 StylusPro printer using archival Ultrachrome HDR inks. Within the book there are twenty-one prints on archival substrates including Moenkopi Unryu Washi, Moenkopi Kozo Washi, Moab Slickrock pearlized metallic, translucent archival vellum and Lasal Exhibition Luster photographic paper. Each book is hand-cut, and hand-assembled in the artist’s studio. An added origami-like feature includes three oversize foldout prints in panoramic format (two are horizontal and one is vertical).
Each copy of Botanique ships with a signed 9″ X 12″ print of Harold Davis’ popular Red Poppies image, suitable for framing.
Botanique pricing and ordering information: The current price for Botanique is $1950.00 (plus shipping and sales tax as applicable).
Botanique limited edition pricing:
|1-5||$500 Sold out|
|6-10||$750 Sold out|
|11-15||$1200 Sold out|
|16-20||$1950 Only 3 Available|
To place an order or for more information, please contact the studio at 510.528.9977 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links for more information:
- Contact Harold Davis studio
- Botanique press release
- Botanique presented in Fine Art Printer (PDF download)
- Botanique in Awagami Paper video about photographers printing on washi
- Botanique Kickstarter campaign
- A box for Botanique (blog story)
- Hot off the press (blog story)
- Assembling the Botanique prototype (blog story)
About Harold Davis: Harold Davis is a widely-recognized artist and a leading contemporary photographer. His work is commissioned, collected and exhibited widely.
Harold Davis is acknowledged as a Moab Master for his printmaking prowess. His work demonstrates that advances in the technology and craft of digital photography have created an entirely new medium that begins with photography and continues as digital art. This extraordinary imagery builds on the masterworks of the past while embracing revolutionary innovations in photography. Harold Davis’s handcrafted digital botanical prints on Washi rice paper are particularly sought after. As Popular Photography Magazine observes, “Harold Davis’s ethereal floral arrangements have a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual.”
Harold Davis is the author of more than 30 bestselling books, including “Creating HDR Photos: The Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Photography” (published by the Amphoto imprint of Random House) and “Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis” (published by Focal Press).