I’m taking a break from leading workshops, teaching, writing books, and making prints in October to recharge my batteries, and to photograph in some very special Italian locations in conjunction with some of my European photography students who have become friends over the years. One of the purposes of my trip is to scout locations in the Dolomites and the lake district of Lombardy that might become a future base for workshops. I’ll also be photographing in Tuscany, and in Rome.
Please consider signing up for one of my post-October workshops now, as places do go quickly. I pride myself on giving individual attention to each participant, and many of my workshops provide unique information that cannot be learned anywhere else—in some cases because I am the inventor of the workflows, processes, and techniques involved.
You’ll find my calendar for the remainder of 2016 and the first half of 2017 below. First let me tell you a little more about some of these workshop opportunities!
We are very excited about two of our workshops scheduled for November, 2016. The first is Advanced LAB Color Seminar on Saturday November 12, intended for those with some Photoshop already under their belt who want to learn about the stunning creative possibilities inherent in LAB, the weirdest color space. There is no one else who teaches this material, and it is incredibly powerful!
Black & White in San Francisco, the weekend of November 19-20, is one part field photography, and one part classroom instruction in creative black and white post-production. I’ll be demonstrating some of the techniques explained and developed for my new book, The Photographer’s Black & White Handbook: Making and Processing Stunning Digital Black and White Photos from Monacelli Press.
December, 2016 brings a Photographing Waves Workshop on Point Reyes under the auspices of Point Reyes Field Seminars. It is my seventh consecutive year leading this interesting workshop that teaches how to use shutter speed in the classroom and field in conjunction with the motion of the great Pacific waves themselves.
I’ll also be leading a session of Photographing Flowers for Transparency here in Berkeley in December. While this session is fully enrolled, if you are interested, the March 2017 session of Photographing Flowers for Transparency is just starting to fill up, and there are still ample places.
If flower photography interests you, please keep in mind the Photographing Flowers Masterclass scheduled for June, 2017. Note that admission is by portfolio review, and that attendance at a session of Photographing Flowers for Transparency (or comparable experience and skill) is a perquisite.
Finally, please note that the early-bird discount for the January session of From iPhone to Art ends shortly, at the end of this month.
- Advanced LAB Color Seminar—Saturday, November 12, 2016; click here for details and registration.
- Black & White in San Francisco: A Weekend Workshop with Harold Davis—November 19-20, 2016, click here for registration and information.
- Photographing Flowers for Transparency, Weekend Workshop in Berkeley, CA, December 3-4, 2016; click here for details and registration (workshop full).
- Photographing Waves on Point Reyes, Saturday December 10, full-day workshop under the auspices of Point Reyes Field Seminars. Click here for registration and information.
- Tuesday, December 13, 2016—Free webinar with Harold Davis, sponsored by Topaz Labs, more information and registration link to come.
- From iPhone to Art: Weekend iPhoneography Workshop—click here for details and registration, January 28-29, 2017 (early-bird discount ends September 20, 2016).
- Photographing Flowers for Transparency, Weekend Workshop in Berkeley, CA, March 25-26, 2017; click here for details and registration.
- Explore Bordeaux, Perigord, and the Dordogne with Harold Davis—Small group Destination Photography Workshop to Romantic Aquitaine. April 22-30, 2017. This an exclusive, very small photography tour with only a few places left. Click here for information and reservation form.
- Malta: May 6-7, 2017—Weekend workshop sponsored by the Malta Photographic Society.
- Flower Photography Intensive: 4-Day Masterclass in Flower Photography—click here for details and registration, 4-day workshop in Berkeley, CA., June 22-25, 2017.
- October, 2017: Small group destination photo workshop with destination TBD; details to come; please send us an email to be added to the interest list.