In a letter to his brother Theo, the great artist Vincent van Gogh wrote, “It often seems to me that the night is much more alive and richly colored than the day.” The advent of digital photography has revolutionized the practice of night photography because a digital sensor can record the spectacular colors of the night. These colors are created by light waves in spectrums that are invisible to the naked human eye. For the first time we can truly “see” the world of the night around us.
Night covers the globe half the time and—surprising to many—photographic opportunities with digital equipment are as exciting at night as they are during the day. Join night photographer Harold Davis, the author of Creative Night: Digital Photo Tips & Techniques, a book explaining night photography techniques and 100 Views of the Golden Gate, a book celebrating the visual glories of San Francisco’s iconic structure, as we explore the freedom of the night in the glorious surroundings of San Francisco.
What: Night Photography in San Francisco with Harold Davis
When: Feb 20-22, 2015
Where: Berkeley, CA (classroom sessions); field locations around the San Francisco Bay area
Tuition and registration: $695; click here for registration, information, and detailed curriculum. Note: Registration is by a YES RSVP and Paypal payment on Meetup; if you prefer to register privately simply contact us.
Workshop size: Maximum 12 participants
Field locations: Depend on conditions and group inclinations, may include Berkeley Pier, Oakland Waterfront Park, Mare Island, Marin Headlands, Golden Gate Bridge, Kirby Cover, Lombard Street curves, San Francisco waterfront and Bay Bridge
What folks have said about Harold Davis workshops and events:
- “A great artist and speaker!”—W. Anglin
- “Harold is genuine, generous, and gracious – He has a world of knowledge and expertise that he loves to share – his wonderful books show his monumental talents and skill set- his workshops shows the depth of his connecting with others in a very real and personal way.”—P. Borrelli
- “Awesome! He patiently addressed questions from the audience which contained photographers of all levels , molding his answers to the level of understanding for each of us. His presentations covered a wonderful range of technical knowledge as well as emphasizing the need for images to have an emotional quality. The images he shares are breathtaking and he is generous in sharing many facets of how he captures such beauty.”—J. Phillips
- “Not all photographers are good verbal communicators. Harold is someone who can DO and TEACH. A rare combination of talents.”—B. Sawyer
- “He was very giving of his talents and time. The course was very organized and thorough. Loved it! Learned so much! … I also wanted to let you know that I have more than paid the cost of the workshops I’ve done with you by selling some photos! I have sold three prints already.”—L. Beck
- “Very creative and a marvelous instructor.”—Kay S.
About Harold Davis
In addition to his activity as a bestselling book author, Harold Davis is an Adobe Influencer, a Moab Master printmaker and a Zeiss Lens Ambassador. Harold Davis’s work is in collections around the world. It is licensed by art publishers and others, and has appeared in numerous magazines and other publications.
Harold’s black and white prints have been described as “hauntingly beautiful” by Fine Art Printer Magazine, and his floral prints have been called “ethereal,” with “a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual” by Popular Photography.
Recently Harold Davis’s work has been exhibited in venues including Photokina in Cologne, Germany, PhotoPlus Expo in New York, the Gallery Photo in Oakland, California, the Arts & Friends Gallery in Heidelberg, Germany, and the Awagami Gallery in Japan.
Harold Davis has led destination photography workshops to many locations including Paris, France; Spain and Morocco; and the ancient Bristlecone Pines of the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains in California.
Harold’s popular online course on Craftsy.com, “Photographing Flowers”, has thousands of students. His ongoing photography workshops in partnership with institutions such as Point Reyes Field Seminars, the Center for Photographic Art in Carmel, California, and the Heidelberg Summer School of Photography are continually in demand and popular.
According to Rangefinder Magazine, Harold Davis is “a man of astonishing eclectic skills and accomplishments.”
2015 Harold Davis Workshops & Events
- 2015.01.27—Presentation at the Peninsula Photo Club. Click here to download the PDF flier for the event.
- 2015.02.20 – 2015.02.22—Night Photography in San Francisco, weekend workshop, click here for registration.
- 2015.03.14 – 2015.03.15—Black & White Masterclass, weekend workshop, click here for registration.
- 2015.05.9 – 2015.05.10—The Creative Portfolio Workshop,weekend workshop, click here for registration.
- 2015.05.15 – 2015.05.17—Wildflowers and Seascapes, a weekend of photography sponsored by Point Reyes Field Seminars. Click here for more information, and here for registration.
- 2015.06.14-2015.06.23—Exploring Prague, Vienna and Budapest with our Cameras, click here for Prospectus and Itinerary, here for registration instructions, and here for the registration form.
- 2015.06.25 – 2015.06.28—Creative Flower Photography with Photographing Flowers for Transparency on a Lightbox at Heidelberg Summer School of Photography, Germany
- 2015.07.02 – 2015.07.05—Digital Black & White at Heidelberg Summer School of Photography, Germany
- 2015.08.02 – 2015.08.07—Creative Flower Photography with Photographing Flowers for Transparency on a Lightbox at Maine Media Workshops. Please click here for information and registration.
- October, 2015—Sea-Girt Villages of Italy Photographic Adventure with Harold Davis. 15 days, limited size group of photographers, destinations include Cinque Terre, Naples, Capri, Anacapri, Positano and the Amalfi coast. Sunday Wenesday October 28, 2015 (leave US October 27) through Wednesday November 11, 2015. Click here for Prospectus and itinerary, here for registration instructions, and here for the registration form.
Harold’s workshops are often sold-out, and fill up quickly. To avoid disappointment, please register early. Feel free to contact Harold Davis if you have any questions about our workshops! Please also consider Harold’s online webinar recordings and his Photographing Flowers course with Craftsy. We arrange many of our workshops and events using the Photography with Harold Davis Meetup group. Click here for Group and Workshop reviews on Meetup. Please subscribe to our list and/or blog feed for early notification about new workshop offerings.